Aiming at sustainability from a sporting as well as an environmental point of view, the 2019 World Rowing Championships will be held as „Green Event “. Together with the Austrian Ministry for Environmental Affairs, measures were developed in order to keep the ecological footprint as small as possible:
- Mobility: environmentally friendly arrival and departure of guests instead of traffic jams
- Accommodation: communication of environmental standards to the hotels
- Event sites: development of a waste management concept
- Procurement, material, and waste management: sustainable supply of guests instead of piles of rubbish
- Hospitality: regional, seasonal, and organic catering on-site
- Communication: transferal of the “Green Event” concept to athletes, coaches, volunteers, and visitors
- Social aspects: security concept, accessibility to physically impaired persons, youth protection, gender diversity, etc.